What is My Recreational Mountain Co-op (MMC)?
My Recreational Mountain Co-operative (our legal name), is a "non-profit community service co-op" formed in 2011 with the goal of operating the Shames Mountain Ski Area. MMC is incorporated uder the "Co-operative Association Act" of the Province of British Columbia
What is a non-profit community service co-op?
A non-profit community service co-op is a co-operative that provides a service for its community. MMC's service is Shames Mountain. The non-profit aspect means that any revenue generated by the co-operative is returned to its operation and not into the pockets of its shareholders.
How did the decision to open Canada's first non-profit community service co-op evolve?
When Shames Mountain was put up for sale, the owners were looking for a buyer who would keep Shames running for the community. In 2008, a non-profit society called Friends of Shames (FoS) was created. FoS arranged for the completion of a feasibility study and business plan to determine the best possible business model to purchase Shames Mountain Ski Area. The outcome of the research and planning indicated that a non-profit community service co-operative model had the best chance of success.
What does membership mean?
Membership in MMC means that you are part of a co-operative that democratically works together towards the shared vision of owning and operating the Shames Mountain Ski Area. It also means that you own your very own mountain!
How does MMC work?
MMC is governed by a Volunteer Board of Directors which is nominated and elected by the membership. This means the future vision of Shames Mountain is being created to reflect the values of our membership.
What are the benefits of membership?
- The best benefit of membership is owning your own mountain and having a say of how it develops or stays the same.
- Each member gets one vote on any issue that is brought before the membership.
- Any member can be a Board Member.
- Members can catalyze change through the proposal of resolutions.
- Members also receive a $100 on their seasons pass.
Is there liability in membership?
What is the difference between membership and a seasons pass?
Membership is a lifetime share in MMC. One is a member of the co-operative. A seasons pass lets you ski at Shames Mountain any day you would like for the season your pass is valid for!
Do I have to be a member to buy a seasons pass or ski at Shames?
No. One does not need to be a member of the co-op to purchase a season pass or ski at Shames.
How many members does MMC have?
MMC has over 1200 members and is growing every year.
Can I sell my membership?
No, memberships are non-transferable in nature.
Can I have Multiple memberships?
Yes, but you still only get one vote.
What does membership cost?
- Individual Shredders Lifetime Membership are $299.
- Junior Shredders Lifetime Membership (0-16 years of age) are pro-rated based on age at time of purchase (fee must be updated annual to be a member in good standing)
- Business Lifetime Membership are $599.
How do I buy a membership?
- Click on online membership form and use PAY PAL;
- Download and print off the membership form (mail to 4805 Hwy 16 W, Terrace, BC, V8G OH3)
- In person at the MMC office or up at the mountain during our operating season.
What is a Best Friend package?
Best Friends Packages are for businesses, corporations, associations and service groups who want to donate and enjoy customizable marketing and promotional options.
- Green Starter: $1,500 to $5,000.
- Blue Intermediate: $5,001 to $10,000.
- Black Diamond Advanced: $10,001 to $50,000
- Double Diamond Expert: $ 50, 001 to $100,000 +
- King of the Hill: $ 250,000 +
Please contact Tara Wilson, MMC Director t.250.631.2809 or Christian Theberge, GM, t250.635.3773
Why can't I purchase my seasons pass online?
Seasons Passes involve a liability waiver that must be witnessed by a MMC/Staff Member and the calculation of dollars owned can be tricky! You can submit your form on line, but must call into the office (250.635.3773) to process your payment. To receive sale prices, payment must be processed prior to the deadline of the sale.